(Information, 2002) Project is an undertaking to meet established goals within cost, schedule, and quality objectives. The project manager is the person who has the ability, skills, and talents to manage a project.
Project Management brings together and optimizes the resources necessary to complete the project successfully. These resources include the skills, talents, and cooperative efforts of a team of people, facilities, systems and tools, technology, techniques, information, equipment, insight, knowledge, and experience.
Stage 1: Defining
The success of a project depends on a clear definition.
- Starting with discussion and analysis
- Writing the project definition
- Setting the final objective
- Listing imperatives and desirables
- Generating alternative strategies
- Evaluation of each alternative
- Testing the primary strategy
- Choosing a course of action
Stage 2: Planning
A successful project produces an outcome that performs as expected, on deadline, and within cost limits.
- Establishing the project objective
- Choosing a strategy for achieving the objective
- Breaking the project down into sub-units or steps
- Determination of the performance standards for each sub-unit
- Deciding on the time required to complete each sub-unit
- Planning the stages of the project and a detailed time table
- Designing the cost of each sub-unit and aggregate costs into the total project budget
- Planning the staff requirements, including the number and kind of positions, qualifications, duties, and responsibilities.
- Deciding on the training needs of the project team members
- Developing the necessary policies and procedures
- Documenting the project plans and procedures
Stage 3: Implementing
When the project begins, the project manager has many responsibilities.
- Establishing standards
- Monitoring performance
- Providing feedback
- Taking corrective action
Stage 4: Completing
The project is to deliver an outcome to the client; according to the established project parameters.
- Testing the project outputs before final delivery
- Delivering the project output to the internal or external clients
- Assessment of the project output with the client
- Documenting the problems encountered, solutions, methods, lessons learned
- Performance assessment of project staff
- Preparing recommendations for future projects
You must be logged in to post a comment.